Boomer is a dog and one of three Fangs for Hire in Far Cry 5. He can be recruited by completing the main story mission Man's Best Friend. Players will first need to liberate Rae-Rae's Pumpkin Farm in Holland Valley to unlock the mission.
Boomer is a regional dog champion; this fact makes John Seed attempt to capture him and deliver him to his brother Jacob, as he could be useful to the cult against the Resistance when used in Jacob's Judge program. His owners were murdered by the Peggies before the deputy could arrive. However, Boomer had not yet been shipped off to Jacob, which allowed the deputy to rescue him.
Boomer would eventually die between the events of Far Cry 5 and Far Cry: New Dawn, either from wounds sustained in the nuclear bombings or from old age.
Man's Best Friend
Main Article : Man's Best Friend
Even if Boomer would have survived the nuclear holocaust, he died prior to 2035 due to old age. He is one of the only Far Cry 5 characters confirmed dead in New Dawn. A grave dedicated to Boomer can be found in the game, in the crypt of the Lamb Of God Church, now known as the new F.A.N.G. Center.
- Boomer is one of the few characters confirmed dead after choosing to resist Joseph and not returning in New Dawn, others including Earl Whitehorse, Staci Pratt, Joey Hudson and Dutch.
- Boomer is of mixed breed, the main influence being Australian Cattle Dog, giving him his blue speckled appearance, with black patches.
- Boomer wears a homemade collar of paracord, attached with a carabiner/D-Ring clip.
- Boomer, along with Peaches, Cheeseburger, Adelaide, and Sharky, do not appear in any of the game’s endings.
- After recruiting Boomer, Dutch will contact the deputy and give his praise of Boomer, saying that, "He'll watch your back better than any man ever could."
- This is likely an intentional reference to Boomer's unique skill, Pointer, which does just that, by automatically spotting all nearby enemies and wildlife.
- Boomer is The Deputy's only ally that can be sent inside an outpost that will not be attacked or draw attention. In fact cultists will ignore him as they don't see him as a threat. "Unless he's seen attacking one of their own". This ability can be used to tag all possible enemies Inside an outpost.
- When Boomer senses cultists or wildlife "hostile and non-hostile" he'll make a low growl and start sniffing the ground towards the direction of the presence. When he stops and stands up whatever he was tracking will be tagged.
- Boomer can be seen wearing a bandanna that looks very similar to the one worn by Grace Armstrong in promotional material for the game.
- Boomer is the most expressive of all the Fangs for hire when standing idle. Besides sitting and lying down, he'll chase his tail, playfully paw the ground, and even dance on his back legs.