Far Cry 6 is a Ubisoft game and the sixth numerical game in the Far Cry series. It was released on October 7, 2021 for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and PC. In addition, it will be released on the Google Stadia streaming platform. The global premiere of Far Cry 6 took place during Ubisoft Forward in July 2020, with gameplay first revealed in late May 2021.
Welcome to Yara, a tropical paradise frozen in time. As the dictator of Yara, Antón Castillo is intent on restoring his nation back to its former glory by any means, with his son, Diego, following in his bloody footsteps. Their ruthless oppression has ignited a revolution.
FIGHT FOR FREEDOM - Play as Dani Rojas, a local Yaran, and become a guerrilla fighter to liberate the nation.
YARA TORN APART - Fight against Anton's troops in the largest Far Cry playground to date across jungles, beaches, and Esperanza, the capital city of Yara.
As with previous games, there are several types of missions in Far Cry 6.
- Story missions - These missions advance the player through the game.
- Yaran Stories - These missions provide the player with points to increase their Rank in Libertad and unlock new weapons and tools.
- Treasure Hunts - These missions provide the player with resources to help upgrade their weapons.
- A Little Birdie Told Me
- The Emerald Skull
- Military Targets - These provide the player with ways to disrupt the Castillo regime, earning Rank points in Libertad and, with certain targets, Depleted Uranium that can be used to craft new Resolvers and Supremos.
- Insurgencies - These are unlocked after completing the main story of Far Cry 6. During the Insurgency, 1 or 2 Provinces have been retaken by the remnants of the FND. It is up to Dani Rojas to clear them out. and next weeks insurgency will begin.
The player-character, Dani Rojas is both fully voiced and has a fleshed-out personality unlike the Deputy or Captain, and is also unable to be customized like either of them save for the choice of their gender wherein their name remains the same.
Weapons each have their own category and two sub-categories, Regular and Unique, the latter of which boast some increased stats compared to the regular variant, but cannot be customized unlike the regular variant, though unlocking them provides their unique appearance to use on the regular variant. Two new categories of weapons introduced in 6 are the Resolver Weapons, which each have a unique appearance and capability to suit a different style of guerilla warfare, and the Supremos, personnel-based war machines designed to cause mayhem in a wide area or boost their wearer in a unique way.
In this installment of the franchise, the companion system from Far Cry 5 returns and is now called "Amigos", but eschews the use of any human companions. Every Amigo is what was previously called a Fang for Hire, including but not limited to: Guapo, a Hawaiian-shirt-wearing crocodile that can bring himself back to life, Chorizo, a wheelchair-bound Dachshund that can distract enemies with sheer adorableness, Chicharrón, an ex-cockfighting rooster with a thirst for the blood of military soldiers, Boomer, a man's best friend from Hope County, Montana, K-9000, a robotic pitbull from an 80's Sci-Fi future, Champagne, a wealthy rich white cougar, and Oluso, a legendary jaguar blessed by Oluwas.
In addition to the main quest to take down the standing dictatorial ruler of Yara, Antón Castillo, Dani will encounter numerous characters each with their own side quest to help them get back some semblance of normal living while screwing over the occupation as much as possible in side quests called Yaran Stories. There are also a multitude of Treasure Hunts, in similar style to the Prepper Stashes of 5, that provide Dani with resources in the fight against tyranny.
There is two player co-op.
Main Article: Far Cry 6 characters
Main Article: Far Cry 6 animals
Main Article: Far Cry 6 vehicles
Main Article: Far Cry 6 weapons
Main Article: Far Cry 6 downloadable content
The "Libertad" pack is added to pre-orders on Uplay, including extras such as the Discos Locos weapon and the dog companion skin, Chorizo.
- Standard Edition - $59.99, Basic version of the game
- Gold Edition - $99.99, Game Season Pass
- Ultimate Edition - $119.99, Game Season Pass, Ultimate Package
- Collector's Edition - $199.99, Game Season Pass, Ultimate Package, Replica Tostoador with How to Assemble paper, Steelbook collector's box characterized by characters appearing in the game, 64-page artbook, 10 stickers, Chorizo Keychain, Map of Yara, and a CD with selected songs from the soundtrack.
- This is the only Far Cry game that you can have a chicken for a friend.
- The trailer for the game leaked to the Internet before their official presentation at Ubisoft Forward.
- This is the first installment of Far Cry in which the main setting is a big city. It is also the first installment to feature horses and tanks.
- Originally the game was set to release on February 18, 2021; however, it was delayed to October 7, 2021 due to the ongoing pandemic.
- The game takes place after Far Cry 5 events, in a world where nuclear war did not happen.
- This raises questions among fans about if Far Cry 5's Walk Away ending is the canon ending. Others believe that Far Cry 6 takes place in an alternate universe.
Work on the game had commenced by early 2016. Research was done into the history of (guerrilla) revolutions. Members of the development team spent about a month in Cuba doing research.