Far Cry New Dawn (stylized as FARCRY NEW DAWN) is the stand-alone sequel in the Far Cry series to Far Cry 5, taking place 17 years after the resist ending. It is set in the post-apocalyptic wild fictional Hope County, Montana, USA after the nuclear war.
The game had an unnamed teaser trailer released on 5 December 2018, with potential box art leaked the following day. The official trailer was released on 7 December 2018. The game was released on February 15, 2019.
Seventeen years after the nuclear explosions that devastated Hope County, life has returned to Hope County, Montana. Endless black rain and wind have given way to blue skies and blooming flora. Humans that survived the bombs now work to rebuild, forming communities across the county. One group of survivors formed in California is led by Thomas Rush. Rush's group dedicate themselves to engineering and bio-farming in order to assist communities across the country. Players assume the role of The Security Captain for Rush's group, and upon arriving in Hope County, they are swept up in a conflict between the Scavengers, the Highwaymen, and New Eden.
As in any other Far Cry game, the open world first person shooter still remains the same with features used from Far Cry 5 like customizing vehicles and Prepper Stashes. Far Cry New Dawn also has some new features. These new features are weapon crafting and Expeditions. Outposts are back but with a new twist: you can either liberate the outpost to produce ethanol or you can scavenge it to produce more ethanol but The Highwaymen will take control of the outpost again and it will increase the outpost's difficulty and become more fortified. You can scavenge and retake each outpost as many times as you want. The hunting system is back but with mutated animals.
Unlike previous Far Cry games, Far Cry New Dawn presents a tier-based combat system. Enemies are organized into four ranks, with the "Elites" being the highest rank and toughest enemies to fight. The types of enemies that spawn depend on the player's progression through the story. Higher-tier weapons must be crafted in order to fight more powerful enemies. This combat system is similar to The Division, another game by Ubisoft.
There are a total of 22 story missions in the game.
- Crawling from the Wreckage
- Find Hope
- Losing Streak
- Deep Dive
- Upgrade Prosperity
- Under Siege
- New Eden's Secret
- The Prophecy
- Eden's Fire
- Into the Bliss
- Joseph's Secret
- The Great Escape
- Adventures in Babysitting
- Upgrade Prosperity 2
- Through the Wringer
- Now That's Entertainment
- Inside Job
- Riding Derby
- Problem Solver
- Ethan's Soul
- Kim Rye
- Nick Rye
- Roger Cadoret
- Grace Armstrong
- Sharky Boshaw
- Irwin Smalls
- Wade Fowler
- Blade Drubman
Main Article: Far Cry New Dawn animals
The animals in New Dawn are basically the same animals from Far Cry 5 but with mutations making some of them much stronger. There are 36 different animals that can be seen throughout the landscape.
There are three different editions of the game available for pre-order.
- Pre-order Bonus - Unicorn Trike Skin.
- Standard - The base game.
- Deluxe - Includes the Deluxe Pack, which consists of the Hurk Legacy Pack and the Knight Pack.
- This marks the first time in the series that many of the characters and setting from the previous game(s) will appear in another game (if not counting Hurk and Willis, who appear in most of the series' missions and DLC).
- This marks the first Far Cry game to be set in a wild post-apocalyptic world after the events of Far Cry 5 during the resist ending in Hope County.
- This is the second Far Cry game to feature weapon crafting.
- This is the first "modern time" Far Cry game to not feature Hand Grenades.
- This is the first Far Cry game in which all main antagonists are female. Far Cry Primal's Batari shared the role with Ull, a man.
- Unlike previous Far Cry games, the player can travel to multiple locations outside the main map.
- Far Cry New Dawn takes place around the year 2035 and is set in the present of the timeframe in the series, taking place after Far Cry 5 which is set in the year 2018.
- Some of the vegetation is reused from Far Cry Primal.
- Some other Far Cry Primal features reappear too, such as the looting backpacks hanging in trees, which you can either shoot or punch down to the ground.
- 2018 December 5, YouTube: Ubisoft North America: Far Cry - Game Awards 2018 Teaser Trailer. Retrieved 2018 December 6.
- 2018 December 6, Polygon: New Far Cry cover art, title leak ahead of reveal. Retrieved 2018 December 6.
- 2018 December 6, YouTube: Ubisoft North America: Far Cry New Dawn: Official World Premiere Gameplay Trailer. Retrieved 2018 December 8.
- Metascore for Far Cry New Dawn on PC, Metacritic, Retrieved April 16, 2020
- Metascore for Far Cry New Dawn on PS4, Metacritic, Retrieved April 16, 2020
- Metascore for Far Cry New Dawn on Xbox One, Metacritic, Retrieved April 16, 2020
|Games||Far Cry (Classic) · Far Cry Instincts (Evolution - Predator - Paradise Lost) · Far Cry Vengeance · Far Cry 2 · Far Cry 3 (Blood Dragon - Far Cry VR: Dive Into Insanity) · Far Cry 4 (Escape from Durgesh Prison - Valley of the Yetis) · Far Cry Primal · Far Cry 5 (Arcade - Hours of Darkness - Lost On Mars - Dead Living Zombies) · Far Cry New Dawn · Far Cry 6|
|Compilations||Far Cry: Wild Expedition · Far Cry Compilation|
|Films||Far Cry · The Far Cry Experience · Inside Eden's Gate|
|Books||Far Cry: Gotterdammerung · Far Cry: Rite of Passage · Far Cry 2: Bloody Diamonds · Far Cry Absolution|
|Other||A word from your dig director · Divya's Travel Blog|
|Far Cry 2||Fortunes Pack DLC|
|Far Cry 3||Hunter Pack DLC · Predator DLC · Warrior Pack|
|Far Cry 4||Overrun|
|Far Cry 6||Far Cry 6 - Croc Hunter Pack · Far Cry 6 - Jungle Expedition Pack · Far Cry 6 - Vice Pack|